Complete NMFS Permits Applications From Anywhere in Just Minutes

NMFS Permits Applications

If you have been struggling lately with the proper qualifications you need to set up your own commercial fishing business, today is your lucky day. This article will explain everything you need to know about the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) fisheries, also called National Marine Fishing Services (NMFS) permits applications.

What are the National Marine Fishing Services?

Let’s begin by stating that the NOAA Fisheries is only a way of calling the National Marine Fishing Services (NMFS), a division of the actual NOAA in the Department of Commerce. So if you come across any of those terms and you are not exactly sure of the meaning you now know they are basically the same. This entity is responsible for the stewardship of the nation’s ocean resources and their habitat. They provide vital services for the nation, all backed by sound science and an ecosystem-based approach to management. They have five regional offices, six science centers, and more than 20 laboratories around the United States and US territories and partners across the nation.

The five regions we mentioned are the Pacific islands, the Atlantic, Alaska, and the South and West Coasts. Different areas have different licenses, as diverse species can be caught in each region. They cover the zone compounded from 3 nautical miles from shore up to 200 nautical miles. The NMFS permit applications you can get will then depend on each region.

Federal Waters are Divided into Five Regions

As you can imagine, in the fourth largest country in the world, thousands of types of fish can be encountered. Each region then has different NMFS permit applications to regulate the market of the diverse species. Bass or Tuna, to name a few, are all over the Atlantic ocean. The Atlantic and the South Coast have access to this area and both fish can be caught in several regions, so it is up to you to make sure to comply with the requirements of each of them.

On some occasions, the area in which you are allowed to fish may not be enough: remember that the NMFS covers the area from 3 to 200 nautical miles. The first 3 miles from the coast depend on the Department of Natural Resources of each state. After that, we have the federal waters we have been talking about. Once the 200 nautical miles from shore end, however, you are on international waters, regulated by the Regional Fisheries Management Organization.

We will use this case as an example: the Albacore tuna, for instance, is abundant in the Pacific Ocean, close to the coasts of both Canada and the US. For that reason, in 1981 both countries came up with the idea of the Tuna Treaty, which allows reciprocity for Canadian and American vessels to enter up to 12 nautical miles into the other country’s waters in search of Albacore. The Permit you need to gain access to this benefit is called the Tuna Treaty Permit.

NMFS Permits Applications

We Can Help You To Get All The Commercial Fishing Documentation You Need

The Tuna Treaty Permit, and actually all of the NMFS permit applications, can be obtained at our site. We make it simple for you by allowing you to get both the federal and state paperwork (and the USCG documentation) from the same place: the Commercial Fishing Permits Center.

We are a third-party agency that specializes in everything that has to do with the industry of commercial fishing. Just contact us by any of the means stated on our site and we will help you get your documentation in no time

No Comments

Be the first to start a conversation

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Scroll to Top