Is there a description of a General category permit?

Yes, owners/operators of vessels fishing commercially for Atlantic bluefin, bigeye, yellowfin, albacore, or skipjack tunas using a combination of rod and reel, harpoon, and/or handlines must obtain a General category permit. This permit is required in the Atlantic, which includes the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea. This permit is required if fishing in Federal or State waters and because it is a commercial permit the U.S. Coast Guard Safety Gear Regulations will apply. Sale of tuna catch is permitted with this permit. Finally, if fishing is taking place in a registered recreational HMS fishing tournament only, this permit will also allow a vessel to recreationally fish for sharks, swordfish, and/or billfish.