The Allowable Activities Matrix and You: What to Know

allowable activities matrix

Have you heard the phrase “Allowable Activities Matrix” and aren’t sure how it applies to your Alaskan commercial fishing business? Do you fish commercially in Alaskan waters and are looking for an easier way to stay in compliance with the powers that be? Our site, the Commercial Fishing Permits Center, offers commercial fishing permits from literally all over the United States. That said, many of our permits come from Alaska as anywhere else. That’s for many reasons, not the least of which is: there’s plenty of commercial fishing in Alaska. Below, we’ll break down the matrix (and by extension, Alaska fishing regulations). 

The Allowable Activities Matrix Explained 

In regards to commercial fishing, the matrix covers those who are classified as “Independent Buyer(s),” “Fish Transporters,” “Catch Seller(s),” and those who fish in the “EEZ Only.” If you have a permit from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, the matrix lays out what you can do as well as what you have to do. You’ll note that there are some similarities across types, such as needing an “ADF&G Approval Letter.” For the most part, each does have important differences (such as exclusively the “EEZ Only” types can export out of state, both processed and unprocessed). 

allowable activities matrix

What to Know 

For one, you don’t qualify for the license involved here if your vessel is too large. Specifically, it can’t be longer than 65 feet in length. That is, of course, unless you’re a Catcher Processor. In that case, you can operate from a vessel that’s longer than 65 feet in length. While the name “Independent Buyer” may sound as if the buyer has complete autonomy, they actually can only sell in the state to licensed ADEC Waivered facilities, buyers, or processors. We understand that, even with the matrix in front of you, this can still be a bit opaque. Should that be the case, our staff will be more than happy to answer your questions. 

Fishing Permits in Alaska 

There are some Alaskan commercial fishing professionals who may look at the matrix and glean information that can help them as well as their business. By that same token, there may be others who find that it doesn’t apply to them. In regards to the latter, at our site, we offer Alaskan commercial fishing permits for just about anything that you might want to fish for in Alaskan waters. Rockfish, Halibut, groundfish, crab, Amendment 80 fishing, and more – if you want to fish commercially in Alaska, it’s very likely we can help. 

An Easier Way Overall 

Speaking of ways we can help, we aim to do more than just connect you to the matrix, permits, and so forth. Our goal is to make it easier to fill out all of the forms as well. To that end, we’ve made it so that you can complete these forms on your phone, tablet, or just about anywhere else. To see all that we offer, head to our site or call (866) 292-4204.

No Comments

Be the first to start a conversation

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Scroll to Top