What USCG Documentation Do You Need for Commercial Fishing?

USCG Documentation

Are you considering a career in commercial fishing? If so, you have probably done a fair amount of research, as this industry calls for a bit more than simply dropping a line into the water on a leisurely afternoon. Commercial and industrial fishing is a big business and a key pillar of the United States economy. While it can be incredibly lucrative, it is also one of the more physically demanding and dangerous lines of work out there. If you are engaging in commercial fishing activity on federal waters, you will have to work with the United States Coast Guard (USCG) from time to time. Specifically, you will need to maintain proper USCG documentation for your commercial fishing vessel. 

If you are a boat owner, you are likely somewhat familiar with completing paperwork. This is also true if you have any sort of background in commercial fishing, as there are a number of registrations and licenses to obtain and renew. You will need to complete a similar process with the USCG, and at the Commercial Fishing Permits Center, we can help you obtain what you need online in just minutes.

Who Requires USCG Documentation?

If your boating and fishing activities are solely for recreational purposes, you do not need to concern yourself with Coast Guard documentation. If you are doing commercial fishing on federal waters, however, it is likely going to be required. In particular, you will need a Certificate of Documentation (COD).

In order to obtain your COD, you will want to complete a form known as a CG-1258 – Application for Certification. Coupled with proof of ownership (typically a bill of sale), this document will require some basic information about yourself and your boat. You will also need to complete Form CG-5397 – Application for Simplified Measurement if your boat has not been previously documented.

At the Commercial Fishing Permits Center, we can help you complete these forms online. Using our SSL-encrypted web portal, you can apply for your Coast Guard documentation quickly, securely, and comprehensively.

Are Your Permits in Good Shape? 

While you are pursuing your USCG COD, this may also be a good time to review your other documentation concerns. For example, do you have all of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) permits that your business needs? The NOAA offers a wide selection of permits for federal fisheries, and you do not want to be caught without a valid license for your catch.

If you take a moment to browse the navigation at the top of our website, you will find that we offer streamlined dropdowns for all major NOAA permit regions. Once you select your territory, you can then find the species-specific permits that you need. Using our web forms, you can get all of the documentation help you need on one easy-to-use website.

USCG Documentation

Contact Us Today to Learn More

Whether you need coast guard documentation or commercial fishing permits, we are happy to help. To learn more, visit our helpful FAQ page, or contact one of our friendly customer service agents by phone or email today.

No Comments

Be the first to start a conversation

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Scroll to Top